Google

Monday, January 09, 2006

Year in Review

I started this blog one year and 154 posts ago, on the 7th. What have I been yammering about all year long? I thought it would be interesting to find out, so I looked back over the past year's posts:

January
The Enemy Within, I think this sums up why I started this blog in the first place. I want to learn how to embrace my enemy in the sense of learning from it and accepting the fact that it’s in my life and will be for the rest of my life.

February
Anger, talked about learning to deal with negative emotions and give them the validation they deserve. I talked a lot about anger, depression and frustration in February. I was trying to work through those emotions without getting completely swallowed up by them.

March
Intense Pain
, I think this blog really summed up the month of March for me. It was my birthday month and I didn’t post very much, because I was in such excruciating pain that entire month. I didn’t think it would ever let up, but it did once or twice during the month.

April
Life Is Beautiful, talked about reincarnating hope from bitterness. Again, working through negative emotions and learning to embrace the enemy. It’s a constant effort, like gardening. You go in and pull out the weeds one day, knowing full well they’ll be back again. But, you go out the next day and do it all over again, hoping that you’ll see something beautiful come out of all the tending.

May
What's Good for the Goose, From what I can see, I was pretty fed up with all the hypocrisy in the medical field in May, again.
That's Such a Cliché, and getting pretty tired of hearing the pop-psychology, religious mumbo-jumbo that you hear from people who don’t know how uncompassionate and unfeeling they truly sound.
Being Empowered, and I guess this is one way that I found to deal with all those weirdoes. LOL

June
Loss of Freedom, describes how imprisoned I feel inside my own body, with our financial situation, and with the medical situation I was in, not having insurance, and, thereby, my lack of choice considering my own care, and my limitations. So, I guess I was grieving for all of that loss.

July
Are You Bored Yet?, I’ve been getting really bored with myself. Spending too much time alone and holed up in a hovel will do that to you, especially during my favorite months, the summer months, when, normally, I’d be out swimming and hiking and enjoying the sunshine.

August
What is Compassion?, I was pretty fed up with being treated badly and hearing about my other migraneurs friends and how they’re treated by not only the medical community, but their loved ones as well, that I wrote this blog as a primer, in addition to these other ones:
Empathy , self explanatory
Oh, The Things You'll Hear, examples of the kinds of comments we get
Dependency vs. Addiction, it’s good to know the difference before you start to accuse someone of being addicted
The Untouchables, talks about migraines being an invisible disease that no one wants to acknowledge

I'll cover the end of the year, in the next post. Thank you everyone whose encouraged me through the blogging process this past year. You know who you are: you're the ones who read my drivel; who leave comments or email me; and who pray for me. Thank you for getting me through to base camp. I've still got a long way to go.

2 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Blogger Bangsiland's Blog said...

Thank you Jessica for writing in my blogg. I understand you are suffering of Migraine attacks? I used to suffer too. Then I went to an acupuncture treatment – you know this Chinese old “medical” treatment where you put long needles on special zones. On me it was put 2 in forehead one on top of my head, 2 in my neck and 1 in my thumb. I went twice a week for a couple of months. From suffering 1 up to twice every month and sometimes for a whole week I am now maybe suffering once or twice a year. I don’t know if it is possible to get this treatment where you live but it is worth a try – believe me.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Bangs,
Thanks so much for leaving a comment and for visiting my blog. Actually, and this surprises most people, I have always sought out alternative therapy like Ancient Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture, Herbs and holistic remedies before going to a Western medical doctor. I feel that those other forms of medicine have alot more to offer and less side effects than western doctors. However, in this specific instance, it didn't work. I did all of the above plus massage and chiropractice, before resigning and going to Western medicine for help. I know that accupuncture works and it's a fantastic therapy, so I'd encourage anyone who has migraines to give it a good try, if they can. Thanks for caring enough to share. I appreciate it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home