Google

Friday, September 09, 2005

THE Appointment

Dr. R, my new pain management doctor, was a very compassionate soul, I thought. I went into his office without expectation, reminding myself to stay present, not to prejudge, to be open, to listen to understand. After exchanging our greetings we sat down and he asked a few questions to make sure that all the information I'd sent to them was accurate. Then, he asked about the treatments I'd been given in the past and noted that I'd tried everything that was in my own power (ie accupuncture, massage, chiropractic, other natural remedies, everything short of seeing a shaman) to get rid of the pain.

Then he told me that he felt my head had gotten worse in the past year and that's why the trigger shots no longer worked as well. That it had nothing to do with the medications used in the injections. This can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it. It's good that it wasn't the medications that weren't working, ie I wasn't building some weird tolerance to it. Bad that my head is worse than it was. It's hard to imagine, but I think he's right. When you're on a downward spiral, you're on your back, looking up and you see the past while you are falling into your future. Your perception can be somewhat out of whack.

I told him that the fioricet wasn't helping me a bit after he'd mentioned that he didn't want to change it if it's working for me. I said that it only stabilized the pain, most of the time, rather than take it away or subdue it. That's when he started talking about other options. I'm not going to be an easy patient, because of all my allergies to medicines, but, apparently, there are options open to us. So, he prescribed Dilauded tablets, Duragesic patches, and Toradol injections to use when absolutely necessary. I'm really happy that he prescribed the Toradol, because it means that I'll be able to treat my pain at home and won't have to make a trip to the doctor's office for the shots.

What I liked most about him is that he's most concerned with increasing my quality of life. Of course, that's my main goal, too, so we're on the same page. I didn't feel like I was having to beg for help and he didn't make me feel like a low-life or a drug-addict just looking for a dealer. It was well worth the trip, I think. Now, I just have to wait and see if the meds will work. I really hope they do, but if they don't Dr. R. wants me to call and let him know and we'll try something else. I have another appointment with him in 2 months.

I left his office feeling like my dignity was intact, I was seen as a human who is suffering, and like something had actually been accomplished at the appointment. It was overall a good experience. I learned a good lesson about being open.

2 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nike outlet, coach outlet store online, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet online, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors handbags, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, ray ban outlet, coach outlet, oakley vault, longchamp outlet online, christian louboutin, true religion, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, coach purses, coach outlet, nike air max, nike free, kate spade outlet online, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, red bottom shoes, tory burch outlet online, gucci handbags, polo ralph lauren, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, true religion outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, nike air max

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, canada goose, p90x workout, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, nfl jerseys, ugg soldes, instyler ionic styler, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, reebok shoes, ghd, herve leger, nike huarache, ugg outlet, bottega veneta, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, ferragamo shoes, ugg, canada goose outlet, babyliss, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, asics shoes, north face jackets, lululemon outlet, north face jackets, hollister, marc jacobs outlet, replica watches, valentino shoes, uggs on sale, birkin bag, uggs outlet, nike roshe, vans outlet, chi flat iron, new balance outlet, nike trainers, beats headphones, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, ugg boots

 

Post a Comment

<< Home