Google

Friday, January 28, 2005

Identity

"The man who renounces himself, comes to himself," Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I've been thinking about my identity. It used to be that I knew who I was by what I did. I was in sales and marketing and was very good at it. So, when I described myself, I would think, "I'm Jessica Polson. I'm in sales and work for xyz company. I've been the top salesperson for several months in a row contiguously, and have gotten that award continually since I began in my profession. I've brought a company that was in the red by $30K, up to $100K in a year. I'm great at publicity. I serve on this and that boards and work for alot of charities in the community." , etc.

Now, I'm Jessica Polson the migraneur, a mother and wife. I've had to redefine how I see myself. I'm no longer a powerhouse of energy and a workaholic. I'm a "stay-at-home" mom. And by that I mean, I can't leave the house! lol I have extreme photophobia to bright light, movement brings on the migraine pain even worse, and I certainly don't like to ride anywhere in a car right now.

Redefining yourself is a process. I felt so lost for awhile. I didn't know what my place was in the world. How could I be useful when I couldn't contribute financially to my household? I know that sounds like I was really materialistic and maybe I was to an extent. Basically, I just wanted my family to live comfortably and my daughter to get everything she needed in life. Plus, I like designer clothes and shoes, so I had to support my habit, my addiction. lol

But, seriously. I lost my identity. Who was I outside of work? At the time, it was horrible. I really had an identity crisis. But, now, I realize that I'd imprisoned myself in a defined box. I was such and such but nothing more or less.

When you're in a box, there are protective walls around you. But those walls also stand between you and everyone else. It's cramped. You can't move freely. You can't explore new places. There are no adventures. You only take calculated risks. And at some point, you become your box, identifying with it as if it were you inside and out. William Shakespeare hit the nail on the head when he wrote, "This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Now, I know that I'm so much more, and sometimes less, than the box. The box doesn't define who I am. I do. I have the freedom to explore who I really am. Who am I? It's the age old question and it takes a lifetime to answer. If I'd never become sick, I'd never have taken the risk to look for the answers. I might not even have asked the questions, or even known the right questions to ask.

It makes me think about the movie, THE MATRIX. Where your daily life is actually a false escape from reality. Your identity is keyed into something that isn't truly real. But, if you have the opportunity to wake up and smell the coffee, you discover a whole new side to yourself. And you finally come into full realization and awareness of the truth that is in you. It's almost as if you're reborn.

When you have to redefine your identity it's like being born and opening your eyes for the first time. You truly see yourself. All of your flaws are on display. All of the things that make you fallable, human and mortal. And, all of your good qualities are also brought into the light. Those things that make you a unique individual.

6 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, mac cosmetics, soccer shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, insanity workout, canada goose, p90x workout, abercrombie and fitch, longchamp, nfl jerseys, ugg soldes, instyler ionic styler, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, reebok shoes, ghd, herve leger, nike huarache, ugg outlet, bottega veneta, jimmy choo shoes, celine handbags, ferragamo shoes, ugg, canada goose outlet, babyliss, mcm handbags, uggs outlet, asics shoes, north face jackets, lululemon outlet, north face jackets, hollister, marc jacobs outlet, replica watches, valentino shoes, uggs on sale, birkin bag, uggs outlet, nike roshe, vans outlet, chi flat iron, new balance outlet, nike trainers, beats headphones, ugg boots, mont blanc pens, ugg boots

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

jordan pas cher, chanel handbags, nike outlet, michael kors pas cher, kate spade outlet, replica watches, longchamp pas cher, nike free, jordan shoes, christian louboutin shoes, nike free run, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, ugg boots, christian louboutin uk, air max, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet online, burberry pas cher, prada outlet, nike air max, gucci handbags, sac longchamp pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike roshe, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses wholesale, christian louboutin, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon canada, nike air max, burberry outlet, oakley pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet store online, kate spade, michael kors outlet, michael kors, nike air force, true religion jeans, true religion outlet, michael kors, polo lacoste, nike tn, new balance, abercrombie and fitch uk, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet, ralph lauren uk, michael kors outlet online, replica handbags, coach outlet, true religion outlet, coach purses, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, north face, uggs outlet, converse pas cher, hogan outlet, nike air max uk, hollister pas cher, sac hermes, nike roshe run uk, hollister uk, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, vans pas cher, ray ban pas cher, guess pas cher, ray ban uk

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

supra shoes, marc jacobs, canada goose, converse outlet, toms shoes, ugg uk, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, canada goose, nike air max, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, doudoune moncler, converse, louis vuitton, vans, gucci, montre pas cher, moncler outlet, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, moncler, pandora jewelry, barbour uk, moncler outlet, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora uk, coach outlet, swarovski crystal, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, juicy couture outlet, links of london, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, hollister, swarovski, canada goose outlet, ray ban, moncler, ugg, barbour, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, replica watches, pandora charms, moncler uk, pandora jewelry, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, hollister, lancel

 
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Cara Ampuh Menyembuhkan Penyakit said...

Whatever the disease there must be a cure. Thank you for sharing the information :)

Produk Herbal Original
Sehat Dengan Herbal
Obat Kaki Bengkak
Pengobatan Herbal Batu Ginjal
Obat Ampuh Sembuhkan Penyakit
Obat Gagal Ginjal

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here hopefully helped :

Cara mengatasi syaraf kejepit secara alami
Obat radang tenggorokan ampuh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home